Wednesday 12 June 2013

FOOD! Food is here...

ERHMAHGERD-- MERNCHIES

OM NOM NOM NOM

K -- Ann and Di? Thank you so much -- you have no idea how much i appreciate the food. So much food... I had to tape my freezer closed and my shelves are packed to the brim. After spending the day unpacking stuff and unpacking stuff and unpacking more stuff in my cabin i needed to get out. So i went on a nice long walk with the nikon camera my family sent me -- It actually takes pretty good pictures. So --- LETS FUCKING WALK IN THE BUSH.

Step 1: know where you are going -- in my case i took some directions from a tower person who had been here before -- lets just say he led me down kindof a shitty path. Pipelines are swampy and covered in broken sticks. Ugh.

Step 2: Get supplies -- i traveled light so just a knife tied to my belt and a camera and a bottle of water sunglasses and gloves. Always take gloves. Scratching your hands to hell is no fun.

Step 3: Tra la la la la la la....

.
.
The airstrip. I dont know if you would want to land a plane there but its likely better than landing in the trees.... There is a little rotting shed and a few drums of helicopter fuel... And thousands of skeeters. Ugh.

Now some plant ID
.
I have no idea what this guy is. I dont know my mushrooms (working on it) but i always thought they were pretty. (to the tune of wild thing) MYCELLIUM -- oh yeah -- you make my heart hum -- your gills are all groovy... Mycellium i think your edible -- BUT I WANNA KNOW fer shure..

.
Common haircap moss.Haircap moss looks kinda cool with its stems and seed pods -- apparently ancient Europeans would use the stems for weaving baskets and the like.

.
Cloudberry. Its edible (the berries) and apparently native peoples used to smoke with kinnikinnick and dogwood.
.
Bunch berry. Also an edible (if mealy and kindof bland) berry.
.
Arctic Raspberry -- or 'dwarf raspberry'. If you thought regular raspberries were delisious then wow -- these are to raspberrys what wild strawberries are to store bought. But its tough to find them because anything with 4 legs will try to chow on it.
.
Dwarf bog rosemary -- dont eat it though cause its poisonous. -- Very poisonous. Pretty though.
.
One of my favs -- Prickly black gooseberry. So damn good. Sooooo good. Better than saskatoons.
.
More bog violets. They are so pretty. They range from almost completely white to vivid purple. And they taste pretty plain which makes them nice in salad.


Now for some wildlife.
.
I pissed this little fellow off something fierce by coming near his tree. He had nothing nice to say to me.
.
Black bear. Not the biggest black bear track but this one was nice and clear.
.
One of the few things more dangerous than a bear. Monsignor Moose. I shall call him Knuckle the Moose. (I hope you get that because i sure aint explaining it)
.
I think someone is being followed...

.
Mommy bear and baby bear tracks together. Cute and yet somewhat disconcerting.
.
Grizzly tracks. I followed them for about a mile and a half -- he just wandered down the winter road one muddy day...
.
Back home. Huzzah! The skeeters were eating my alive as the sun started to drop in the sky abit.
.
.
A nice meal by the fire as a reward. Mmmmmm. Man that hit the spot.
.
Ahh -- time to go in cause its getting cold. This is how bright it is at 10:30PM. A great day but time to turn on the generator and recharge my radios.

So yeah -- Lots of berries -- i saw lots of currents and blueberries aswell... mmmmm.
.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for craming your freezer full of stuff - hope you can find a use for the elk meat! Your dinner looks delish!

    That little camera does a pretty good job.

    Hmm I hope you only see that Mamma Bear and baby from a distance. Or get some shots of them with the zoom lens!

    ReplyDelete